Current Job Openings:
Be a part of keeping Adams Morgan clean and safe!
The Adams Morgan Partnership Business Improvement District (AMPBID) is seeking a full-time Safety Ambassador to help ensure a secure, orderly, and welcoming environment in our neighborhood. Duties include keeping Adams Morgan safe by acting as extra “eyes and ears” for the police, reporting suspicious activities, patrolling the neighborhood on foot, conducting merchant visits, providing directions and other visitor assistance and doing light, street cleaning.
The Safety Ambassador will spend their entire shift on their feet, either walking or standing.
Hours: Must be flexible to work weekdays, weekends, and holidays during the day and early evening (Day shift: 12-8PM Wednesday through Sunday. Monday and Tuesday will be the weekly days off.)
Applicants must be at least 21 years old, fluent in spoken English and Spanish (both are required) and must have a high school diploma or GED. Two years (or more) of college preferred. Excellent communications skills, stable work history, no felony criminal convictions, clean drug test required. Past security and/or hospitality experience preferred, first aid/CPR training would be a plus. Must be a “people person.”
Salary: $20 to $23 hour depending on job history plus fully paid health insurance and eligible for up to 2 weeks a year PTO (accrued each 2 weeks of work) first year of work.
Position will begin October 3, 2018. Deadline for applications is July 16, 2018.
Adams Morgan Partnership
Send resume and cover letter. Email applications only. No phone calls please.
The overall mission of the AMPBID Safety Ambassador program is to assist in creating a secure, well-managed, and welcoming environment to everyone who frequents Adams Morgan, including but not limited to: tourists, business people, property managers, retail owners/managers and local residents. Under direct supervision of the Executive Director, the AMPBID Safety Ambassador serves as the “eyes and ears” of Adams Morgan.
Hours: 12 noon to 8 pm Wednesday through Sunday (Monday and Tuesday are days off)
- Provide a visible uniformed presence by patrolling designated areas on foot serving as safety ambassador, information resource, and positive welcoming advocate for Adams Morgan.
- Support MPD by alerting them of any crimes, suspicious activities, or safety hazards, following proper BID procedures
- Touch base with the MPD police officers on-duty at least once a day to keep our connection to MPD current
- When assigned, maintaining a visible presence at a standing security post in repeated problem areas
- Interact with neighborhood property owners and business owners to help identify and resolve problems
- Assist with first aid and emergency situations, as needed
- Promote stores, restaurants, offices, historical sites, events, and other neighborhood resources as requested by visitors
- Provide accurate pedestrian, driving, and transit directions and other information as requested by visitors
- In cooperation with our homeless outreach partners, provide printed and verbal information to those in need of services
- Conduct security presentations for businesses new to Adams Morgan
- Use excellent judgement, tact, and confidentiality when dealing with all Adams Morgan stakeholders
- While on tour each day, do minor litter clean up and removal of illegal stickers and posters from all public and private property
- Maintain a presence in high risk areas in order to deter crime.
- Report panhandlers or other people causing disturbances to MPD
- Represent the Adams Morgan Partnership BID in a professional manner at meetings and special events
- Complete daily activity reports as well as maintenance logs on the AMPBID-issued cell phone and other assignments as specified by the Executive Director
- Assist the Adams Morgan BID with special events and distribution of materials to businesses as needed
- Minimum age of 21 years.
- High School Diploma or GED required, at least 2 years of college education preferred
- Fluent spoken English and Spanish required
- No felony convictions, clean drug test required prior to employment and random testing during job hours
- Demonstrated experience with security, hospitality, other public contact positions preferred
- Proactive personality, excellent interpersonal skills and good physical condition
- Ability to work well with others and support the Adams Morgan Partnership BID in a wide variety of activities
- Must be capable of following written and verbal directives
- Stable work history
- Willing and able to walk and stand outdoors in ALL weather for an 8-hour shift
- Willing and able to lift up to 50 lbs. of materials
- Willing to wear specified uniform and maintain a neat, professional experience
- Ability to work weekends and some holidays